Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Pumpkin Chia Seeds Bar Cake



Modified this from the Best Pumpkin Cake recipe I posted few years ago.  Now, I added ground flaxseed and chia seeds for a healthier approach.  I should try it with whole wheat flour next, but I am not sure of the outcome and afraid to give it a try.  I was experimented it with a 9x13" pan instead of the bundt pan because that took a long time to bake.  Luckily this turned out well and it only took 35 minutes to bake.  I freeze half for later and the other half I just store it in an air-tight container and place it at room-temperature on the kitchen countertop.  My girls had this as breakfast and for their afternoon snack.  

Nothing better to bake some pumpkin treats at this pumpkin season.  It's also a great time to stock up on canned pumpkin when it goes on sale, so that we can enjoy it throughout the whole year, not just at the end of the months.  *wink*



Ingredients:

(A)
3 eggs
2 sticks of butter, melted
1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
1 tsp. vanilla extract

(B)
1 1/2 cup cane sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup ground flaxseed
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 Tbsp. chia seeds

Methods:

1.  Preheat oven to 350'F.  Butter a 9x13" rectangle pan and spread it with a thin layer of flour.  (Butter and flour the pan the old fashion way)

2.  In a big mixing bowl, whisk together according to list.

3.  Add in (B) according to list, stir to mix well after each addition.

4.  Pour into the greased and floured pan.  Top with pecan if you like, but it's optional.

5.  Bake for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.

6.  Let it cool in pan.  Slice and serve!


1 comment:

tigerfish said...

It looks very moist, looking at the inside. I usually use canned pumpkin (puree) in soups. I have not bought any canned pumpkin this year as I have a can from last year still left in the pantry :O