Monday, November 25, 2013

Quinoa Chili


While browsing the coupon website, I came across this recipe.  A chili recipe that uses a slow cooker and quinoa.  As you know, I love love the convenience of a slow cooker so this recipe hit the spot.  Furthermore, I have about 3/4 cup of quinoa left that I wasn't sure what to do with it,  if I use it to substitute rice, it would not be enough, it has to mix with something more substance to make it into a meal.

Hence this recipe is great as I have some canned beans in my pantry, quinoa, onion, chicken breast and spices in my cabinet.  Just put all in a slow cooker and the dinner is ready!  This is just an idea, you can play with your own recipe!

I also like to wish all my readers a Happy Thanksgiving holidays, drive safely, enjoy each other companies and delicious food.  I will be off during the week to spend it with friends. :-)



Recipe idea credited to Queenbee Coupons.

Ingredients:

3/4 cup quinoa, rinse under running water on a sieve under water is cleared, about 1 minute.
1 1/2 cup filtered water
2 cans of organic kidney beans (15oz), drained
1 can of organic garbanzo beans (15oz), drained
1 small yellow onion, chopped
1 chicken breast
1 bottle of all natural traditional pasta sauce (24oz)
Chili powder, 1 tsp.
Cayenne powder, 1/2 tsp.
Cumin powder, 3/4 tsp.
Dried celery, 1 Tbsp.
Black pepper to taste

Method:

In a 4-quart slow cooker, add in the chopped onion, water, pasta sauce, kidney and garbanzo beans, quinoa, and all the spices.  Give it a stir.  Then, put in the chicken breast in the middle.  Turn it to high for 3-4 hours.  Take out the chicken breast, shred it and put it back and give it a stir.  Turn it to warm.  Serve with cheese.




3 comments:

tigerfish said...

Great use of leftover quinoa!

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family :)

daphne said...

I think you nailed this easy one pot chili quinoa! I'm going to take this idea for sure. It's getting warmer here but that will not stop me from having chill!

Kurt said...

Thanks! I'm always looking for new ways to enjoy quinoa.