Sunday, May 12, 2013

Seasoned Burdock Root


Chinese health guru said root vegetables are good for us, so I am trying to eat more.  Root vegetable such as nagaimo (山药), burdock root/ gobo, lotus root, ginger, turmeric, etc.  Nagaimo is really good for us but I have not bought it often as I still have no idea how to incorporate it into our family meal besides making a dessert.  I bought burdock root occasionally to make soup;  even tried it in stir-frying once, but I found it to be quite fibrous and my family members didn't like it.  But I was glad to found this Ueong Jorim (seasoned burdock root) recipe on Pinterest one day.  This is surely a keeper for me, I guess by stir-frying and simmering, it makes it less fibrous that even my little girl likes it. 



Recipe adapted from Korean Food with some changes.

Ingredients:

1 long burdock root/gobo root (about 1+ lb.)
2 cups water
1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar  (you can use white vinegar)
2 tsp. full honey

Sauce:
9 tsp. soy sauce
4 tsp. cane sugar
2 tsp. Shao Hsing wine
Dashes of black pepper

Method:

1.  Cut the gobo into several long pieces.  Use the back of your knife to peel the gobo under running water.  Immediately soak it into water.  Finish the rest.

2.  Prepare another bowl of water with 1 Tbsp. of vinegar.  Thinly julienne the gobo and place into the vinegar water.  Let it soak for an hour.

3.  In a small bowl, prepare the sauce by mixing it all together.

4.  In a frying pan, add a little oil.  Drain the gobo and rinse with water.  Add into the pan and pan-fry the julienne gobo until soften.  Add the sauce and 2 cups of water and let it boil.

5.  When boiling, turn the heat to simmer and simmer until most of the liquid has been evaporated.  Lastly, add in the honey.  Mix well and stir until thicken.  Pour onto a plate and garnish with toasted sesame seeds.  Serve!

Note:  You can also save half of it in a glass container (without sesame seeds) and keep refrigerated.  Each day take a little out of the fridge and add toasted sesame seeds and enjoy as a cold side dish.

4 comments:

tigerfish said...

Wonder when I will buy burdock root again. Not a fan. :O

Belinda said...

I can't say this is something I've ever picked up knowing what to dot with it!

shaz said...

I've never tried cooking burdock root. Only eaten it sometimes in Japanese restaurants. Thanks for sharing. I might try this out one day.

recipe for good health said...

I THINK THIS RECIPE IS SO HEALTHY.I MUST TRY IT ,I FIND SOME HEALTHY AND TASTY RECIPE FOR ME.SO THANK YOU VERY MUCH..Recipes