Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Veggies with Wood Ear Fungus


Wood ear fungus, Clouds Ear, Tree Ear or Black fungus are the same thing.  It is used widely in Chinese cuisine and recently had been known to provide lots of health benefits.  It is high in vitamins and minerals, improve blood circulation, lower cholesterol, anti-viral, etc.  Its texture is crunchy even after stir-frying and take the flavor of the sauce, as it is tasteless by itself.  Usually sold in dried form in the Asian supermarket.  Again, very affordable and I would suggest to eat this often, at least once a week would be nice. I even made this into a very healthy veggie dish with color super food from celery, carrot, garlic and red bell pepper.
 


Ingredients:

  • 4 sticks of celery, washed and thinly diagonally sliced
  • 1/2 red bell pepper, washed thoroughly and cut into strips
  • 1 small or 1/2 large carrot, peeled and sliced thinly
  • 4-5 wood ear fungus (black fungus), soaked in room-temperature water until expanded and soft, rinsed and cut into pieces
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1 small piece of ginger (about 1 inch), minced
  • White rice cooking wine (about 1.5 Tbsp.)
  • Lee Kum Kee oyster sauce, to taste  (about 1.5 Tbsp.)  Use vegetarian oyster sauce for vegetarian or vegan.

Method:

1.  Heat up your wok.  When heated, add in cooking oil of your choice.  When warm, add in ginger, stir-fry until fragrant.  Add in garlic, stir-fry a little.  Add in celery, stir-fry well.

2.  Then, add in red bell pepper and carrot.  Stir-fry well.  After that, add in the black fungus.  Mix well.  Add white rice wine around the wok.  Mix well.  Season to taste with oyster sauce.  Mix well and serve hot.

5 comments:

daphne said...

I didn't know there are so many benefits of the wood fungus! Good tip.

PH said...

Very colorful vege dish. My Mum cooks mixed veges quiet often. When I was akid, wood ear fungus was a favorite. My grandma would put it in meatball soup and I would fish out the fungus cos I love the soft soft texture :)

tigerfish said...

I need to include woodear mushrooms more often into my dishes. I have them but sometimes have forgotten to use them since they are "hidden" behind the pantry and I usually try to use up the fresh items (e.g mushrooms) in the fridge first.

Noob Cook said...

your plate of veggies looks super fresh! I like to stock up woodear in pantry, for emergencies when I run out of fresh ingredients :D

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Healthy and good !