Wednesday, June 10, 2009

KangKong Belacan (马来风光)



I think all Malaysian adore this dish. It is served in almost all restaurants and we could never get tired of it. Kangkong is also called water convolvulus and it has an empty filling so Chinese called it 空心菜. I love to cook this dish in my short-cut version. So, sharing with you my short-cut version with ingredients easily available at the Asian supermarket.



Ingredients:

  • A big bunch of kangkong, pluck the leaves, discard the stem. Wash in water 2 times and rinse dry.
  • 2 shallots, chopped
  • 1 tsp. belacan powder
  • 2-3 Tbsp. Shrimp Paste in Soy Bean Oil, product of Thailand
  • 1 tsp. Fish sauce
  • A little sugar
  • 1/4 cup water
  • Oil for cooking

Method:


1. Heat oil in a wok. When heated, add in shallots, shrimp paste and belacan. Fry until fragrant, then add in the kangkong. Fry until kangkong reduce in size and soften. Add water, season to taste with fish sauce and sugar and stir-fry well.


2. Dish out and enjoy! The above dish is kids friendly. If you like it spicy, add chili padi, chili paste or sambal for the extra kick.

14 comments:

Cindy Khor said...

kangkung, my all time favourite veg, kangkung belacan, my all time favourite dish. i think i'm gonna cook this this weekend, i miss my mum's cooking now.

sock peng said...

i like it
always eat

Wendy said...

I love this vegetable, too. I would appreciate if you would show us a picture of the label for belacan powder. Thanks. Wendy

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Ya, this is simple and delicious.

Big Boys Oven said...

wow! this is my favourite vegetable dish! "Ma Lai Fong Kong!"

Christina Kim said...

Oh yeah!! Good ol' Kangkung belacan, who could resist it?
Simple and not too expensive of a dish, but yet such an appetizing one suitable for all ages and at all times =)

Ling's Passion said...

Yes, you are right. Malaysian loves this dish; and I am one of them.

Little Corner of Mine said...

Wendy, here's the one I used:
http://www.mytasteofasia.com/belacan-powder-bottle-p-254.html?osCsid=thncipfqtmldde3o48hsnj4l64

daphne said...

Agree! actually we ate out last night and that was what we ordered too.. Table full of Malaysians (err...ok, only singaporean there)so there isnt any excuse NOT to order sambal kang kong!

Wendy said...

Thank you for showing us the belacan powder.
Wendy

Unknown said...

our favorite too... looks so yum... :)

Sweet Jasmine said...

This is really a good version for the kids minus the red chillis.

Anonymous said...

Missed this vege style.. looks so good.

Noob Cook said...

I like this!!! I just use bottled belacan to stir fry, it doesn't look as good as yours hehe