Monday, June 08, 2009

Condensed Milk Pound Cake



I decided to try this cake because of the rave reviews. Also my fellow blogger friend did such a great job on this cake that it prompted me to try. Her cake texture was so fine and yummy looking, check it out here. Her recipe was in gram which I converted to cup to suit myself. My cake didn't turn out as fine texture as her, not sure what went wrong (maybe it's my conversion?). I did over bake this cake resulted in my middle sinking and a bit dry, which I checked at 32 minutes. So, I reduce the baking time for that size of loaf pan to 25 minutes. Just check the cake when you can smell the cake fragrant emits from the oven. Nevertheless, this cake tasted great with the fragrant of condensed milk.
I will make this cake again.





Ingredients:

(A)

  • 1 stick (1/2 cup) of butter
  • 1/4 cup sugar
(B)
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
(C)
  • 1/2 cup condensed milk
(D), sifted
  • 1 cup cake flour
  • 3/4 tsp. baking powder
(E)
  • 2 large eggs


Method:


1. Cream (A) until light and fluffy with a electric mixer/beaters.


2. Add (B) and beat well.


3. Pour in (C) and beat well.


4. Add in (D) in 3 additions. Beat until batter is smooth.


5. Add (E) one at a time and beat until well mixed and smooth.


6. Pour into a well-greased and floured 8 1/2 x 3 1/2 loaf pan and bake in preheated 350'F oven for 25-30 minutes.
Check with toothpick and cool completely on wire rack before storage.

Note: Baking time will depend on the size and type of pan you used.

22 comments:

pigpigscorner said...

I love anything with condensed milk! I'm bookmarking this!

ICook4Fun said...

This is one cake that I want to try too. Been seeing this cake circulation among food bloggers. In fact I just bought a can of condensed milk just of bake this.

Deborah said...

I love anything with condensed milk, so I bet this would be a hit at my house!

Baking Fiend said...

looks great! but i also duno what went wrong that your cake looks different from mine. but nonetheless, it delicious rite? :P

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

No special ingrediants, simple steps, I definitely will give a try.

Unknown said...

Sob sob. I've returned my ex roomate's electric mixer. I sooo need to buy one. I bet sous chef would love this. He loves anything that involves condensed milk ^_^

Noob Cook said...

I didn't know condensed milk can be used in baking ... so noob hehe

Little Corner of Mine said...

You will like this cake, pigpigs. :)

Haha Gert, great mind thinks alike, we wanted to try the same cake. :)

Yes Deborah, enjoy!

Yes baking fiend, it's delicious. I will try not to over bake it next time. Mine seem to have holes while yours was more compact. Dunno leh.

Emile, yes give it a try, most ingredients you already have at home, just need to get the condensed milk and you are all set. ;)

Aww Rita, I bet sous chef will like this cake too. You can buy a hand held electric mixer, works in all baking need and a lot cheaper. ;) Which I used by the way. :)

Haha noobcook, I didn't know before too. :)

daphne said...

I'm bookmarking this recipe and trying it for sure one day. I wonder if low fat condense milk can be used?

food-4tots said...

Haven't tried to bake with condensed milk. Your cake looks perfect to me. Will try it out soon.

Beachlover's Kitchen said...

love condensed milk but never try it with cake yet!! your cake llok soft..Thanks for sharing!!

ClearTear said...

can u post your fren measurement in grams? cos i uses grams, and maybe we can try both.

Little Corner of Mine said...

Daphne, I don't see why not.

Thanks food for tots. I like this cake too, will make again when I buy another can of condensed milk.

Thanks Les. This cake is worth a try!

Hi Clear Tear, just click on the link I provided in my post to go to her website for her gram recipe.

Anonymous said...

hi,

love ur blog. i decided to make the condensed milk cake and the texture looks like urs. it is not as fine as the picture in baking fiend blog. i wonder what when wrong. i did over bake mine as well.

Little Corner of Mine said...

Anon, I put half of the cake in the freezer to consume later and the texture was pretty fine when I took it out. Not sure what happen though. Not sure over baking our cakes caused this problem or not too. ??

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Your condensed milk cake looked so good and inviting I had to try it.
I happen to have every ingredient on the list on hand for once and so I baked it just this morning.It came out so good. I made few changes in the measurements which I would like to share. These are the measures I used and my cake came out looking just like from "The baking Fiends unite": 8 1/2 Tablespoons butter, 3/4 cups cake flour, little less than 1/4 cup sugar. Rest all ingredients in same quantity as yours. I was able to do these conversions for flour and sugar because I have a small scale at home with grams readings.For butter I used info on package where total grams are given to get into TBSP measure. I also baked it longer but that is because of my oven, it takes longer to bake anything in it. I baked for 37 minutes at 350 to get it just done in the center and nice light golden crust.

-Neha.

Little Corner of Mine said...

Hi Neha,
Thanks for sharing your conversion with us and so glad to hear that yours turned out great. :)

Unknown said...

I just stumbled unto your site..and i gotta say..I love everything you make! I've got to try this one!

Little Corner of Mine said...

Welcome to my blog Mengko! This is a yummy cake to try, let me know if you like it. :)

Blessed Homemaker said...

This must be one of the popular cakes back then as I've seen many bloggers blogging about it. I only baked it in Sep last year. It is a very moist and delicious cake, though it's too sweet for us.

Unknown said...

Hi, I'm going to use a 20cm oval shaped cake tin for this recipe. How would the baking timing differ?

Little Corner of Mine said...

Evelyn, I am not sure. Just check the oven when you starts smelling the fragrant of the cake. Then, check with a toothpick to see if it runs clear.